Red Hat Magazine: Wide Open Magazine

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Fri Jan 23 01:09:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 19:18, Charles Curley wrote:

>   In other words, you SUBMIT an article and they own it. This is NOT
>   what I call respect for other people's intellectual property. The
>   normal and customary rule is that they own whatever rights they are
>   buying (sometimes just first serial, more often for computer
>   magazines all rights) after you have signed a contract.

I'm not a writer, and I have no more experience with this "magazine"
than the 3-CD shrinkwrapped FC1 with the WideOpen label on the front
that I picked up at LinuxWorld yesterday.  I imagine the disclaimer
you've summarized was largely crafted by the publisher that Red Hat
partnered with.

Nevertheless, I can sum it up fairly succinctly:  If you don't like
their policies, don't read it.  Don't subscribe to it.  Don't submit
your writings to it.  Consumer behavior probably has more direct effect
on the periodical industry than any other I can think of.

P.S.  Your posting is HIGHLY off-topic.  Particularly the dredging of
each site's webserver platform.  Sheesh, someone sounds like they've
already been rejected by the publisher.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting