Clean up the up2date directory, /var partition?

Robert Echlin rechlin at magma.ca
Sat Jan 24 22:24:18 UTC 2004

Fritz Whittington wrote:
> On or about 2004-01-24 12:00, Rodolfo J. Paiz whipped out a trusty #2
> pencil and scribbled:
<sir snisapot>
> For instance, I stuck in an old 20 GB drive and mount it as /extra, and
> point up2date to /extra/spool/up2date.  I also keep bits and pieces of
> personal data there, and if I should need to re-install I don't format
> that partition :-)  And when I up-graded from RH9 to FC1, I first moved
> the  big pile of RH9 updates to another directory on /extra, in case I
> needed to re-install RH9.

I keep /home on a separate partition.
I use rsync to back up /home/rme (my login) to my kids windows box with
the CD burner.  I switched from Debian to Fedora and Mozilla mail didn't
even blink. You just don't add any users when you install, then you add
them after you have the new /home mounted. I had to a chown -R as the
user IDs did not match.

Robert