rpm spec file change request in Fedora Project

Greg fedora at packetstorm.org
Sun Jan 25 15:53:29 UTC 2004

If this is the wrong place to ask let me know and I will post it
elsewhere or email it.

Basically I am asking for a SPEC file change on how the default net-snmp
rpm is built

Current SPEC file entry:

--with-mib-modules="host agentx smux"

Change to

--with-mib-modules="host agentx smux disman/event-mib"

This way I dont have to continually rebuild from SRPMs (ok that ones
selfish so how about because it includes some nice monitoring abilities)

>From man snmpd.conf
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB SUPPORT (READ: SENDING TRAPS ON ERRORS)

With a disclaimer:
Warning:  this  implementation  has  not been extensively tested and is
additionally not known to be entirely complete.  The  concepts  defined
here  should  function appropriately, however, but no promises are made
at this time.

..
..
defaultMonitors yes
By  default, the agent and the DISMAN-EVENT-MIB support do nothing until
configured.  Typically people wish to watch a bunch of
tables  within  the UCD-SNMP-MIB which are designed specifically
for reporting problems.  If the "defaultMonitors  yes"  line  is
put  into  the  snmpd.conf file (which must be accompanied by an
appropriate agentSecName line and a rouser line), the  following
monitoring conditions will be installed:

monitor   -o prNames -o prErrMessage "process table" prErrorFlag != 0
monitor   -o memErrorName -o memSwapErrorMsg "memory" memSwapError != 0
monitor   -o extNames -o extOutput "extTable" extResult != 0
monitor   -o dskPath -o dskErrorMsg "dskTable" dskErrorFlag != 0
monitor   -o laNames -o laErrMessage  "laTable" laErrorFlag != 0
monitor   -o fileName -o fileErrorMsg  "fileTable" fileErrorFlag != 0

Along with other monitoring abilities like

monitor -u me -o sysUpTime.0 -o hrSWRunName "high process memory"
hrSWRunPerfMem > 10000

thanks,

Greg