What is exec-shield

Vincent pros-n-cons at bak.rr.com
Mon Jan 26 23:28:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:52:25 -0700
Guy Fraser <guy at incentre.net> wrote:

> After fighting with prelink, I was finaly able to get wine working
> again, by disabling exec-shield in prelink.
>
> This is the first I have heard of it, and I have been working with Linux
> since 95, and RHL since 97.
 It's new to Fedora

> What is it for and why would it be wanted?

In short it provides protection against exploits specifically stack, buffer and
function pointer overflows. It is not a full solution to killing all shellcode
and exploits. But you wont take a significant performance hit so It's worth it.

This is a good thing, I hope you re-enable it.

#press relese
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/exec-shield/ANNOUNCE-exec-shield
#very technical information
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200311/msg00090.html
The second link has tons of good info in its follow ups.