maximum memory capacity

Chiu, PCM (Peter) P.C.M.Chiu at rl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 28 14:00:43 UTC 2004

Hi Joel/Jos,

It is a per process access.

If I can summarise like this:
a. 3GB per process memory access is still the limit for RH9, FC1 and RHES 3.

b. The 2.4 kernels can support up to 64GB memory.

c. RH9 and presumably RHES 3 as well automatically produce bigmem kernel to
support
   memory size over 4GB.

d. FC1 will require a manual step to tune up the kernel to support memory
size > 4GB.

e. 4GB memory or more may incure 4-6% additional performance overhead.

f. 2.6 kernels support up to 512GB memory, and

g. Opterons in theory can support up to 1TB of virtual memory.

Peter