problems with samba as a PDC server

Paul Furness paul.furness at vil.ite.mee.com
Wed Jan 28 14:13:26 UTC 2004

Hello.

There is a small config change that you need to make on the XP machine
to make it work with a Samba domain (at least, on the version of samba I
have there is anyway). The simplest way is a small registry hack. I am
running a Samba PDC for my office, and all the PCs are authenticating
fine, but the XP ones won't work until I apply this hack to them after I
have joined the domain.

Not sure if this list will cope ok with a .reg attachment, but I've
attached the file anyhow. If you don't get it, mail me direct (off the
list) and I'll send it to you.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look at the contents of this reg file before you
install it; I don't know exactly which version of XP you have and I
can't guarantee that this will necessarily work for you. Here I use XP
Pro on all the machines and they all work perfectly after this hack is
applied, even if I take them out of the domain. It might be different
for Home edition machines.

Paul.