Sendmail still will not read config files

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 29 00:17:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:36:25AM +0200, Robert Key wrote:

> Sendmail still refuses to load because it will not read
> local-host-users  and trusted-users  in /etc/mail
> with the message "Could not read trusted-users with Worldwide readable
> directory"
> I have tried all the following permissions but none work.
>
> /etc/mail    0755 (default)  0400, 0700, 0600 and owner root.root
> files 0744 (default), 0400, 0700 owner root.root
>  Nothing works. The error message remains the same.

Three quick things to check.

	ls -ld /etc/mail
	ls -l  /etc/mail/{local-host-user,trusted-users}
	egrep "DEF_USER_ID|TRUSTED_USER" /etc/mail/sendmail.mc # check against passwd

Also you might see things better by running make and restart by hand.

	make -C /etc/mail
	service sendmail restart

I expect that TRUSTED_USER in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc is being confused
with /etc/mail/trusted-users.  Some changes have been made in sendmail
so files that were smmsp:root or root:root are now different.  In a chroot
universe the inside and outside UID/GID and names being used must match.

I think that "local-host-users" is a non standard file name.  What and
why does it exist and how is it used.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net