Fedora <-> kde

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Thu Jan 29 01:24:43 UTC 2004

Daniel Roesen wrote:
> Especially as it gets worse and worse in GNOME... I want my
> integrated(!) Enlightenment back... *grin* Really, metacity is a
> major annoyance at best. Never experienced sawfish (only recently
> upgraded my desktop machine from RH 6.2 to RH 9 and shortly after
> to FC1). You can't even set windows to "always on top", switch
> desktops by hitting the screen border with the mouse pointer,
> or ALT-Tab cycle windows without metacity drawing windows from other
> desktops into your current one. *SIGH* And still, it's slower than
> E on RH 6.2.

I'll agree in general that metacity lacks some of my old favored
features (I used to use fvwm). Desktop switching based on hitting the
screen edge took a while to get used to, but reducing mouse usage is
generally a good thing. I don't usually have much use for setting a
window to 'always-on-top', but I can imagine it might be useful in
certain cases (and I can't figure out how to make metacity do it).

IIRC, metacity stripped out a lot of that functionality to make it
"simpler, friendlier, and smaller". YMMV if it's actually there.

But anyway, getting to my point:

I don't have your problem with using alt-tab or alt-esc. Both cleanly
cycle through just the windows from the current desktop. Could it be
that you have some older GNOME/metacity settings that weren't cleanly
replaced? I've done a few user-upgrades now, and old GNOME settings have
commonly proven to be a source of trouble.