Default Sendmail Configuration Changes?

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Thu Jan 29 14:45:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 08:39, Henry Hartley wrote:
> I recently upgraded a server from RH9 to FC1 (via yum, which worked
> surprisingly well).  One problem we've had is that the configuration format
> for Sendmail seems to have changed enough that we needed to go through that
> pretty thoroughly and update everything.  One thing we still have not
> managed to get working correctly is the ability to send mail from local
> network clients.  Clients can all read mail fine and by running pine or mutt
> on the server we can send mail without problems.  But with Mozilla Mail
> (which is what our users mostly use) we are asked for a SMTP password and
> when it is provided, we are simply asked again, as though the password we
> provided were wrong (I'm pretty sure I'm getting it right).  Has something
> changed in the default method for authenticating?  Is this even a sendmail
> issue?  Since we can READ mail without problems, I assume we can
> authenticate at some level (using IMAPS).  Our iptables is allowing ports
> 993 and 465 through so I don't think that's the problem.
> Sendmail-cf-8.12.10-1.1.1 on FC1.  Suggestions welcome.
>
> --
> Henry Hartley

I'm not sure what type of authentication you're using but I ran into a
similar problem after my upgrade.  Fedora's version of sendmail uses
sasldb2 not sasldb (notice the "2" at the end).

sasldb2 is created in a different format than sasldb using the
saslpasswd2 utility.  You can list users using sasldblistusers2.  In
other words, your problem may be with sasl.
--
Gerry Doris <gdoris at rogers.com>