module dependec and ext3 file system

Andy Green fedora at warmcat.com
Thu Jan 29 15:21:29 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 18:34, xiaohuli at alumni.princeton.edu wrote:

> 1. I could not connect to internet from fedora.  eth0
> interface is not brought up.  ( my card is not made by
> 3Com, as someone point out might be the problem ).  The
> Xp machine connects with no problem.

To get your card up, you need to find out what IS the appropriate module, not
was it isn't.  Then with a couple of commands you should be able to get it
working.

Use lspci (as root) to hear about the kind of PCI devices you have installed.

> How do I generate a modules.dep file ?
> Is modules.dep generated at boot time ? How does
> modeprob work ? Is there a way to specify which
> directory to look for modulles.dep file ?

depmod generates modules.dep for the running kernel, BUT something is messed
up, since by definition only the modules on the running kernel are of any
interest.

Run uname -r to find out the current kernel version that is running.

What were you doing with modprobe when you saw these errors?

I would download the latest kernel rpm and update to that.

http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/Linux/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/kernel-2.4.22-1.2149.nptl.i686.rpm
http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/Linux/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2149.nptl.i386.rpm

download those guys and

rpm -Uvf kernel*

> Fedora couldn't mount this drive ! saying the kernel
> does not support ext3 filesystem. Is it, really ? As a
> result, besides losing a bunch of shell command, X
> window won't start. I have to change to

Something is screwed with your system and the kernel modules.  Do an lsmod
before you do anything else after boot, you should see ext3 and jbd are the
first two entries.  if not then this problem is related to your other module
problems, since in redhat ext3 support is a module.

> something to do with run levels ?  like at different
> run levels, different modules will be loaded ?

No, ext3 module should be loaded pretty much the first thing after the kernel
is running.

- -Andy

- --
Find your answer without waiting for replies....
Searchable list archives at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2