wine

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Jan 29 22:00:33 UTC 2004

Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

> Guy Fraser wrote:
>
>> Check the archives, I posted a solution a couple days ago.
>

> That's where I started, asking the earlier poster if he'd need to
> engage in "prelink shenanigans" in order to get Wine to work.
>
> He'd implied that he hadn't needed to, which intrigued me (and might
> mislead others).
>
> Incidently, your solution by itself did not work for me, but also
> performing
> "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield"
> seemed to do the trick.

It worked for me the first time, but after I posted the message I had to
do the same thing too.

If you don't want to have to do the echo every reboot you could add this line to /etc/sysctl.conf :

kernel.exec-shield = 0

I would rather do the echo command only when required, but newbies may
be uncomfortable poking values into the kernel, on a regular basis.

Have a nice day.