3C905-TX problems

Michael Bernstein mike_bernstein at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 18:15:04 UTC 2004

Hi,

  I'm having problems with my first Linux installation (so expect some
naivite).  The Ethernet card - a 3C905-TX on an MSI K7N2G mobo - is a real
mare!!  Let me say that all works well under WinXP.  The NIC is connected to
the Cable modem (ftom ntl in the UK).

  I had loads of trouble getting the board to go "active" at all, but
finally managed after I turned off kudzu ("chkconfig kudzu off" and a
reboot).  Now I can ping and browse, but everything goes at a snail's pace.
If I ping the BBC website I get 50% packet loss.

  I've spent a LOT of time with this now so help would be greatly
appreciated.

Many thx,
   Mike

PS   I tried to work with the on-board nVIDIA ethernet but that wasn't
recognised, and nVIDIA don't supply a driver for core 2.4.22-1.2115