MS-SQL -> OS DB Migration was Re: idiot database flamewars

Paul Thomas paul at tmsl.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 23:26:45 UTC 2004

On 31/01/2004 19:56 Mike Westkamper wrote:
> [snip]
> There are a number of good relational databases that play on multiple
> platforms, none are free! You may not pay a license fee for some, but you
> will pay in other ways. From personal experience, consider the true
> multi-platform aspect and what it is worth to you. Then consider the cost
> of
> migration, both technical and administrative. And don't forget the cost
> of
> converting the data.

I totally agree with that even if it is a large part of the argument M$
use to frighten people away from Linux. My counter-agrument would be that
you only go through that pain once and then you're free (as in liberated).
M$ come back at you time and time again. And each time it hurts.

> I did a large conversion from MS-SQL to DB/2. The database was spread
> over
> mainframes, Windows, Unix and Linux platforms. It worked well when done,
> and
> still does today. The conversion took three people a year and almost two
> months by 24 hours per day to migrate the data.

I was thinking of a slightly smaller migration task like a single NT/W2000
server with MS-SQL to Fedora/PostgreSQL.

> A large commercial database is good if you what the reliability, support
> and
> availability of trained professionals to convert and maintain the system.
> My
> SQL is good and I've used it for some jobs, however I've had a number of
> problems that trace back to its origins. I've also used Oracle, Tamino
> and
> some pretty custom stuff. Each has its place. I do like Tamino for its
> native XML abilities, Oracle for its scalability and DB/2 for its robust
> implementations and inter-operability with mainframes. Not one is easy.

Each DB has its strengths and weaknesses but to keep reasonably on-topic
wrt to this thread and ML, what advice would you offer to someone
migrating a MS-SQL DB with stored procedures, views, RI, transactions et
al to a DB shipped with Fedora?

--
Paul Thomas
Business |