Sendmail and SMTP AUTH

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Jul 9 16:16:56 UTC 2004

--On Friday, July 09, 2004 6:07 PM +0200 Alexander Dalloz
<alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

>> I use define(`SMART_HOST',`[mail.bellsouth.net]') in
>> sendmail.mc.  This has been working well since long before FC2.
>
> Why the Bellsouth SMTP server in squared brackets?

I haven't seen that done in SMART_HOST, but in mailertable the square
brackets mean that the host is the actual SMTP host. Without them, sendmail
does a DNS lookup on the name looking for an MX record, assuming that the
name is an email domain, not a particular host.