SOLVED: Nvidia lockup, even with newest kernel

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Jul 1 01:08:41 UTC 2004

    We all know about the 4k/8k kernels, etc, but there are a few of us
still having problems, even though everything's supposed to work. I
happened to stumble on the problem, and it's very easy.

    I've installed 5336 for a while, there was hope that it would work
without a lot of sketchy howto's and kernel re-compilations. So it was
still there when I installed 6106.

    Upon some research into the logfiles (/var/log/Xforg.log) or
whatever it's called these days, I noticed that it was loading the 5336
_module_ even though I'd installed the 6106 driver today.

    You must _remove_ all of the 5336, before installing the latest
driver...for some reason it's version of an 'upgrade' isn't bug free.
But for the first time I'm running on the new module and will soon test
out the 3D stuff....I just wanted to post my findings 'cause I know a
lot of people are jonesing for some UT/ET/Tuxcart/etc.

    Checking 3d performance.....YES.  Not only operational, but
seemingly better than before!

    :)

    If this helps you, I'll be so happy.  Good luck with it!

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller