linux apps that can record your desktop/ make a movie out of it

Daniel Stonier snorri_dj at operamail.com
Thu Jul 1 06:35:01 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Didier Casse <didierbe at sps.nus.edu.sg>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 13:32:55 +0800 (SGT)
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject: linux apps that can record your desktop/ make a movie out of it

> Hi all,
>         Doesn anybody know any linux apps that can record things like
> mouse movements and all the things you're doing on the desktop and can
> output an mpeg clip out of it?
>
> I want to record my desktop and show people all the cool apps I have at
> the moment via an mpeg clip. i.e make a movie out of it. Thanks.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Didier.

I've been helping a german guy called Karl make some FC1 rpm's for his xvidcap/gvidcap program. It allows you to capture a predefined portion of the desktop and output it as one of a few various movie formats or as a timed sequence of images you can later convert with the imagemagick tools to an animated gif or mng file. You can find it at

http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/

Personally I found it great to capture movies of my simulations to use in presentations.

Cheers,
Daniel.