slow DNS lookups in Fedora Core 2

Keith Morris graphicsguy at charter.net
Thu Jul 1 15:17:37 UTC 2004

Hello all.

I have been searching through the archives and googling around trying to
find some information on this problem but have not found anything
conclusive so I was hoping someone here might be able to help.

I have a network with two FC2 machines that are exhibiting the same
problems of slow name resolution when connecting to the internet.  They
will take anywhere from 5 - 10 seconds to resolve hostnames. Both
machines are configured to use DHCP from the router. All of the machines
in my network are behind a Linksys router with the latest firmware.

One of the machines is dual boot with WinXP also configured to use DHCP,
but there are no DNS lookup problems while in WinXP. Lookup is
practically instantaneous.

Any insight?  TIA!

Keith