OT: Want to Build PC for Fedora Use - Hardware Questions

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Thu Jul 1 17:36:22 UTC 2004

Hi all:

I'm wanting to try to build my own computer for home/office use with
Fedora. I would like some help picking out some of the components to
ensure that I'll have a good experience with the build and that all the
things I typically use the computer for will work with a minimum of
fuss. Here's a list of the things I use the computer for on a day-to-day
basis:

mozilla browswer/mail and mail, gaim, xmms, kaffeine, emacs, latex,
xdvi, xpdf, grip, ogg files, gimp, basic perl scripts,
mysql/php/phpmyadmin, apache

I tend to like the fancier screensavers, like Ant Spotlight, just
because they look cool to me ;-) and enjoy an occasional game of Tux
Racer and Neverball. I'd like to be able to play DVD movies on this new
machine.

So I've been poking around newegg looking for what would make a good
project for me to build and here's what I have come up with:

ANTEC Life Style Series Black Case With 380W Power Supply, Model "SONATA"

ASUS "P4P800-E Deluxe" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU

ASUS nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out,
8X AGP, Model "V9520/TD"

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading
Technology

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

Mitsumi Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model D359M3D/D359M3B

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD

Logitech Black Internet Keyboard PS/2 104keys

Logitech SBF69 Optical Wheel Mouse PS/2

TEAC 52X32X52 Internal EIDE CD-RW Combo Drive Black Bezel, Model DW-552G BLK

I'd like some ideas about if this looks like a decent system, and if
there are some changes that I ought to make to save some headaches
and/or money. I have a couple of pre-built boxes that have nvidia cards
in them, so I have gotten accustomed to the driver issues, but would
really prefer something that was more in line with open source, so I
could simply upgrade a kernel without the additional nvidia driver work.

Do I even need a sound card, since the board comes with onboard audio?

I sure would appreciate your opinions or suggestions. I'm horribly
out-of-place when it comes to hardware and really need some help getting
over this hurdle. Over the years, I have done individual component
changes on machines that go down, but I've not ever picked out pieces
from scratch.

Thanks,
Clint