New nVidia Driver vd rivafb kernel module-SOLUTION

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Jul 1 20:14:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:22:11PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > I made this work by what may be the kludge of the year. I placed the:
> > modprobe -r rivafb
> > as the next to last line in the rc.sysinit file. Ask me why not
> > the last line? The last line looked like it should be last.
> >
> > Well nvidia module seems to work so unless someone has a better idea I
> > leave it the way it is,
>
> > Aaron Konstam
>
> Do you both - Greg and you Aaron - use the rivafb Riva framebuffer
> module to have framebuffer resolution on the console? I ask because I
> got the warning too when installing the new NVidia module, though I do
> not use the rivafb module, nor is it ever loaded.
>
> Alexander
Ok here is the mystery. When I do a: lsmod |grep rivafb
before running modprobe -r
I do not see any rivafb loaded but the nvidia will not work until I
remove that module. modprobe -r rivafb
does not complain that rivafb is not loaded so I remain with a mystery
which I have not really unraveled. My plan was to get nvidia to work
and that happened.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University