grub default

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Jul 2 10:42:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 03:17:53PM -0500, Cowles, Steve wrote:
> I manually edit /etc/grub.conf and change the "default=" setting to boot the
> kernel image that I want. Remember, the first entry listed is 0, not 1.

Yes, that's easy enough to edit. However, in RH9 and FC1 the new updated
kernel always became the default. Why was this changed?
up2date even suggests users to reboot if it sees a newer kernel is
installed than the one that is running, but at the reboot the user has
to select a kernel different from the default.

How many users will think they have all the bugfixes in place but are
actually still running with FC2's orriginal kernel?

Is there a way to change the behaviour of up2date or rpm at kernel
upgrades or a way to script detection of a new kernel and modification
in grub.conf?

David Jansen