[Firestarter-user] DHCP server

Ryan R. La Mothe ryanrlamothe at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 02:06:17 UTC 2004

---FROM A PREVIOUS EMAIL---

1. Grab the dhcp package ("yum install dhcp" or do it the old fashioned way)
2. Create the file /etc/dhcpd.conf with the following:

ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

         option routers                  192.168.0.1;
         option subnet-mask              255.255.255.0;
         option domain-name-servers      <your-nameserver-ip-here>;
         option ip-forwarding off;
         range dynamic-bootp 192.168.0.128 192.168.0.254;
         default-lease-time 21600;
         max-lease-time 43200;
}

There's a lot of other options you can play with, but that will do.
192.168.0.1 in this case is the IP of the internal NIC of the machine
Firestarter is running on. The rest should be self explanatory.

3. "service dhcpd start" and you're in business. Wasn't that easy? :)

(4. If you want the DHCP service to startup by default on next boot do
"chkconfig --level 35 dhcpd on")

---FROM A PREVIOUS EMAIL---

Is Xandros RPM based or DEB based or other?  If you have any other questions, please don't be afraid to ask.  Thanks.