no alsa audio

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon Jul 5 05:37:25 UTC 2004

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:06:51 -0400, Mike Payst wrote:

> My error.  The alsa rpms installed are:
> alsa-lib-1.0.3a-2
> alsa-utils-1.0.3-1

Okay.

> Used alsamixer to set the volume levels that were settable (all but 2)
> and still no change in behavior with RealPlayer8 (I still have the RP8
> from FC1 installed).

RealPlayer8 doesn't come with FC1, so using a unknown package makes it
difficult to debug remotely.

RealPlayer8 does not use ALSA devices most likely, but OSS devices and
mixers, so that may be important. system-config-soundcard examines the
running kernel version and chooses either amixer (ALSA) or aumix (OSS)
to set the volume levels for the test sound.

Also interesting to know would be whether any other audio applications
work when RealPlayer8 doesn't work and then checking /sbin/lsmod to find
out whether maybe some driver is not loaded automatically or whether it is
a mixer problem actually.