Startup problem

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Tue Jul 6 17:31:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 02:17, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 July 2004 02:01, Harry Zhang wrote:
> >I'm very new to Linux, and had just finished installing Fedora Core
> > 1,  The initial boot was succesful, however, the 2nd and 3rd ...
> > was not. The second time I boot (with grub) the system started to
> > the startup process, while the system tries to load, somewhere
> > around loading cups, instead of ok, it just froze, and the next
> > time I boot, it started again, but this time, it gave me that the
> > previous session was not shutdown cleanly, and then i tried to use
> > force checking the root, but it didn't work, instead, it shows this
> > error:
> >
> >Code: ff 0b 8b 4d e4 8b 75 e4 83 c1 2c 8b 51 04 8b 46 2c 89 50 04
> >  <0>kernel panic: Aiee, killing interupt handler
> >In interrupt handler - not syncing
> >
> >but something strange, I didn't give up, so i tried again, this
> > time, samething but it did start, right after i force checking the
> > root, it boots to the system, and everything went well, but the
> > next time i boot, well same problem happens. I'm new to Linux, so I
> > don't know how to use a rescue mode to fix this problem. Can
> > someone please help me with this.

> It sounds like there is something wrong with the cups install, so what
> you may want to do is use 'chkconfig' to turn cups off, see the
> manpage for chkconfig's syntax to do that.  Don't stay in that mode
> and poke around, you can muck things up pretty easily, but reboot
> normally as soon as cups has been turned off.  Once you've got a good
> boot, then you can play with cups from a xterm shell.

The other thing I would look at is changing the set of USB devices that
are attached at the time of bootup.  I've found that CUPS likes to probe
for printers rather than just use the printers that are configured.  I
have usually gotten several usb_timeout errors if I leave my scanner
plugged in while the system boots.  I am better off plugging it in after
the system is up and running....

May not help, just another data point....

--Rob