install mbr without running install-grub ?

Daniel Ulfe danielulfe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 19:32:28 UTC 2004

You can interchange /dev/hda to /dev/hdb and viceversa, then you can
have grub in hda and windows in hdb. Be carefully in your /etc/fstab
that your device name must be label=(something) instead of /dev/hdbx.
If youn can't setup your BIOS in order to boot from /dev/hdb this is a
good idea, but, be carefully with booting Windows, becuse the boot
disk (from Windows point of view) is a C: driver (actualy /dev/hda
after you change disks)  You probably need to remap disk in grub
configuration before you boot Windows in order to convert hdb in C:\.

I have this configuration in my grub.conf

title Windows XP
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)