Update from FC1 to FC2

Wayne Steenburg w.steenburg at myactv.net
Wed Jul 7 03:05:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 17:06, Brian A. Kee wrote:
> Question regarding the upgrade process from FC1 to FC2.
>
> I have several FC1 systems that I keep up to date with a local yum server.
> Once every couple of weeks I download the latest updates, then run yum to
> keep the systems up to date. I would like to upgrade to FC2, however I do
> not wish to re-install/upgrade these systems via the CDROM(s).

Another solution would be to download and burn the boot.iso and download
the 4 other iso's to one of your machines. Put the iso's in an nfs share
or a http or ftp folder. Boot each machine from the boot iso and type
"linux text" at the install prompt.  This will give you the option of
installing over the network.  This way you only download from the
internet once and you can install them via the local network which will
be much quicker. Personally, I would perform a fresh install instead of
an upgrade.  There were a few issues that came up with the change to the
new kernel and x server.  If your /home directory is on a separate
partition you can keep all your settings from your previous
installation. Just don't format the partition and you can add the
user(s) account(s) after installation.  Good luck!

Wayne Steenburg