What is a newbie?

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Thu Jul 8 11:08:39 UTC 2004

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>--- Mark Eggers <mdeggers at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>>Subject: What is a newbie? (Was Re: Assistance for
>>>

>>newbies?)
>>

>>>My question to the list is this: When is a newbie
>>>

>>no longer a newbie?
>>

>>>That's not irrelevant, for if we were to construct
>>>

>>a monthly posting
>>

>>>for newbies, we'd need a model of the target
>>>

>>audience.
>>
>>Nice general question . . . .
>>

>a brilliant response

It would be easy to debate what a newbie is but not very productive
because it undoubtedly means slightly different things to different people.
Perhaps people should contribute their description of the "model Linux
newbie" and the list can comment on ones they like.

A description of the model Linux newbie:
A person new enough to Linux that they do not yet know how to do the
things they want to do with Linux, nor what things are possible with
Linux, nor how to find out the answers for themselves.

An alternative description:
A person that would benefit from having a mentor to introduce them to
Linux, show them some basics, and how to utilize on line and off line
documentation, and the etiquette of community supported software.