Any partition size suggestions ?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 8 15:01:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 10:24, M3 Freak wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 14:21, AdabalaP at schneider.com wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have a Compaq Presiaro 1277 (laptop), with 4.8 GB hard disk, 64 MB RAM,
> > 433 MHZ processor,  Want to install FC2 replacing Windows 98. Primary usage
> > will be as a workstation (development tools needed), Internet (should be
> > able to exchange MS Word, Excel format documents),  Multimedia (play songs,
> > movies locally and from the internet). What should be my HD partition look
> > like (e.g. /, /usr, /home, ... SWAP) given the above.
>
> I would recommend you setup LVM during the install process.  With LVM,
> you won't have to worry about figuring out what size the partitions
> should be.  If you happen to make one too big and could use the space
> somewhere else, you'll be able to move the partitions around on a
> RUNNING SYSTEM.
>
> LVM will definitely give you the most flexibility, which is what you're
> going to need on such a small HD.

With a hard drive that size you should just take the default settings
which should be / /boot and swap.  While it is good to have multiple
file systems normally, particularly on a server with many people, this
is a laptop for one person.  And with a small hard drive you are going
to be hard pressed to partition it such that you won't run into
problems.  And with 64MB of RAM I think you will find yourself somewhat
restricted on the number of applications you  can run at one time.

That's my two cents.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

No group of professionals meets except to conspire against the public at large.
		-- Mark Twain