What is a newbie? (Was Re: Assistance for newbies?)

David Maier dave at bardacious.com
Thu Jul 8 17:45:45 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 03:06 PM 7/7/2004, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
>
>> My question to the list is this: When is a newbie no longer a newbie?
>

> Hmm. Food for thought here... a newbie is no longer a newbie when:
>
>         1. He/she understands that Linux is in some ways far better
> than Windows and in some ways nowhere near Windows and has chosen to
> accept that (while working to improve it, of course). He/she has a
> clue as to why those differences exist.
>
>         2. He (the "she" is assumed) can solve some of his own
> problems by reference to /usr/share/doc, Google, LDP, MARC archives, etc.
>
>         3. He has learned how to seek help effectively on mailing
> lists, fora, or IRC when self-help fails to provide results. This is
> probably equal parts netiquette, smart questions, and common sense
> plus common courtesy.
>
>         4. He has managed to successfully accomplish some of his core
> tasks using Linux. That is, Linux is now an actually useful tool to
> him, not just a neat curiosity item.
>
> How's that for a starter list?

Well, this is interesting, because, according to your list I'm half and
half.  Guess I'm either a "new" or a "bie."  I can install Linux, but I
haven't a clue about compiling the kernel.  Not even sure why I'd want
to.  I can install an rpm package, if I spend 30 minutes with the man
page, but I don't know what to do with a source file or how to do
whatever you do to a tarball.  My ability to make effective use of Linux
is limited by these walls I keep butting into.  I'd really be
disinclined to label myself a non-newbie because I'd feel like a fool
otherwise.  I'm guaranteed to ask a very newbie like question at any
moment.  Like, "What's a grep?"

I always figured a non-newbie was someone who has  a fairly versatile
grasp of the whole package, i.e., has a fairly good handle on the big
picture so that s/he has a pretty good base from which to diagnose
failures or otherwise to figure things out.  Maybe I try to make the
class so large that you won't get angry at me for asking something
which, according to your judgment, I darn well ought to know....  Would
it be useful to create an intermediate category of earnest and
well-intentioned adopters who have gaping holes in their grasp of the
fundamental concepts?   A "Wannabie?"