latex2html

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 8 21:59:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 07:59:45AM -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:

> >>My point was more that perhaps latex2html users don't use the
> >>latex2html that we actually ship, but a different version.
>
> Or even a completely different application such as TeX4ht.  In general,
> the TeX distributions that have shipped with linux distros have
> lagged behind the popular Win32 distros (fpTeX and MikTeX).
>
> >Most likely.  The TuG (TeX User Group) has been distributing
> >multi CD sets of all the TeX family of tools.
> >
> >  http://tug.org/
> >
> >Most of the serious TeX and LaTeX folk use bits on The Comprehensive
> >TeX Archive Network (CTAN)
> >
> >  http://tug.org/ctan.html
>
> The TeX Live distribution from TuG includes TeX4ht.  Anyone can download
> the .iso images -- there are 3 versions:
>
> 1.  "demo" version that runs from the CD on the most popular platforms
>     with the most popular packages
> 2.  "install" CD with compressed binaries for more platforms
> 3.  "live" ready to run DVD image with everything
>
> The unix code in TeX Live is based on teTeX.  The TeX Live distro
> provides statically linked binaries that will run on most linux platforms.
> If you stick to the standard directory structure all you need to do is
> put the TeX tree somewhere on your filesystems and add the appropriate
> bin directory to your path.  For example, you can mount the DVD image
> via the loop device, e.g., on /usr/TeX.

Thanks George,

I should also mention that folks should look in their local library
for the set of five books that Don Knuth put together for TeX,
MetaFont and Computer Modern Type Faces.  Of the five volumes
programmers should read:

  Computers & Typesetting, Volume B: TeX: The Program

It is amazing, the way he designed and applied tools and his raw
intellect to solve a serious complex problem in an artful way.
Also interesting is the inverse of Larry Walls kitchen sink logic
verses Knuths choice of a pruned version of Pascal (Pascal-H).

Much of the content for the book is public and on the net so those
without the budget or a a good library are not locked out.  Heck it is
all out there.

Knuth has made world class contributions to the art of computer
programming and his TeX is one of the landmark open source
contributions.  Check out his use of the word 'web'.

See also: "Art of Computer Programming, Volume 1,2,3"

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l