tar for backup

Andrea Marin amarin at mr-service.it
Fri Jul 9 09:15:11 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I try to make a backup whit the command tar.
I make a simple script whit this line:

tar cvzf $BACKUP_DEST_DIR/$BACKUP_FILENAME.tar.gz $BACKUP_DIRS

where the $BACKUP_DEST_DIR/$BACKUP_FILENAME and $BACKUP_DIRS are my
variables.
Now I would like to make a more profit backup.

My variable $BACKUP_FILENAME contain a name pippo and when i make a
second backup whit the same name the first archive are delete for write
the new archive.
I want that the tar program confront the two archive and write only one
archive whit the files that was in the first archive more the difference
that are whit the second, and if in the second archive there aren't some
file the tar don't delete those file from the first archive.

Thanks Andrea