Traffic shaping... don't understand the instructions!

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Jul 9 19:20:27 UTC 2004

At 12:16 PM 7/9/2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>er.. I think the only one who's actually interested in understanding
>what I'm trying to do is _you_.

Very much so. I'm going to attempt to finish my "Small Netserver HOWTO" and
to actually update my "Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO" while I'm on vacation, so
I want to be able to explain a bunch of stuff. Eventually I'm going to put
your traffic shaping stuff in the Netserver HOWTO as well, you know. You'll
be famous. <wink>

> > I suggest you create several versions. First keep the very simple one and
> > maybe improve/optimize it. Then create a slightly more complex one with
> > Wondershaper integrated, and improve/optimize that one. Finally, create a
> > third with RED/GRED integrated. Having all three versions will allow your
> > HOWTO to offer users a choice of power/complexity vs. ease of use, and
> > evolving from simple to complex will also make it easier for you to debug
> > everything.
>
>Wow. Didn't think about that. I'm leaning against something more
>integrated but yeah.. I understand what you mean.

The point is that you later give the user a choice of three scripts to
download:

         1. Just the facts, ma'am.

         2. The slightly embellished story.

         3. The full nine yards.

All three scripts eventually end up optimized and integrated as best
possible, but you've done your users a *huge* favor by allowing them to
select the level of complexity and power they want, or choosing a simple
solution instead.

> > Find friends who are getting rid of very old boxes.
>
>I'm trying to get some too. Not much luck though. Can I find some of
>_those_ friends here?? :-)

Dunno... where's here? <grin>

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz