FC1 upgrade from rh8, but running 2.6.7 kernels

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Sat Jul 10 00:29:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 09 July 2004 18:44, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Greetings all;  Partial duplicate post since no one commented on
>>> the first post in about 6 hours.
>>>
>>> yum seems to have self-destructed with its last update run a
>>> couple of days ago.  It was working fine till after that, but now
>>> I have at least 2 programs that don't run/compile.  Yum doesn't
>>> run, returning this error:
>>>
>>> [root at coyote /]# yum update
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
>>>     import yummain
>>>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
>>>     import yumcomps
>>>   File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
>>>     import comps
>>>   File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
>>>     import libxml2
>>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
>>>     import libxml2mod
>>> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so:
>>> undefined symbol: xmlByteConsumed
>>> [root at coyote /]#
>>> ---------------
>>>
>>> And I will categorically deny doing anything to my python install
>>> that a yum update didn't do.  The only housekeeping I've done in
>>> the last month was that I discovered I had 2 identically named qt
>>> libraries, one in the qt3.3 tree, and one in the qt.3.1 tree, so
>>> the whole qt-3.1 tree got nuked.
>>>
>>> Addendum, I fixed the grip compile problems from the first post by
>>> moving copies of the libraries it was looking for from where they
>>> were to where the *(&%^% makefile was looking for them.  Bad dog,
>>> no bisquit.
>>>
>>> What packages do I need to get, update to and/or (re)install to
>>> restore the yum  and/or python problem?  I think rpm is still
>>> working.
>>
>> Have you tried "yum clean"?  I suspect your cache got wonked and yum
>> doesn't like that.
>
> Well, I just cranked up a cli to look for that, and got this:
>
> [root at coyote root]# strings /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so | grep xmlByteConsumed
> libxml_xmlByteConsumed
> O:xmlByteConsumed
>
> So that is there it seems, so we'll try your way :)
>
> Uhh, no, same error:
>
> [root at coyote root]# yum clean
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
>    import yummain
>  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
>    import yumcomps
>  File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
>    import comps
>  File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
>    import libxml2
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
>    import libxml2mod
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol: xmlByteConsumed
>
> I hate being a PITA, but I guess I am :(
> Next suggestion?

Are you currently running FC1 or RHL8? Your subject is a bit
confusing.  I'll recommend 'rpm -V' on yum dependent packages to make
sure the packages are consistant - and compare the versions with what
it should be [for the given distribution]

rpm -q yum python libxml2-python
rpm -qV yum python libxml2-python
rpm -Va

Satish

-----
For FC1:
asterix:/home/balay>rpm -q yum python libxml2-python
yum-2.0.7-1
python-2.2.3-7
libxml2-python-2.6.6-3
asterix:/home/balay>rpm -qV yum python libxml2-python
S.5....T c /etc/yum.conf
asterix:/home/balay>