nforce 2 and kernel 2.6.6

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 10 16:22:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 07:39:38PM +0200, Jose Luis Labarta wrote:
> Hello there again.
> Thanks for all the help i got here first, i have fedora C2 running in my
> sata hard drive with ati propietary drivers and all work fine.
> Now i have a new question, i whant upgrade to kernel 2.6.6 but last time
> i do a install of this kernel i found that my network seems work but
> dont send anything.
> Some1 knows if is some kind of trouble with nforce2 integrated network
> iface and that kernel?

Jose,
  I'm running an ABIT NF7-S motherboard with nForce 2 chipset and have
had no problems with it. I'm currently running kernel 2.6.6-1.435. I
had to install nVidia drivers for the chipset on FC1 to get the
onboard ethernet working, but on FC2 it works with default drivers.

This doesn't mean your motherboard will work the same way, though.
The way I understand it, nForce 2 only does part of the networking.
It requires a "physical layer" which is usually done by an external
chip. In my case it is a Realtek 8201BL. Yours probably is something
different. Some manufacturers don't use nForce for ethernet at all,
and build it all into an external chip. If your motherboard manufacturer
doesn't supply a driver that works with this kernel, you may be out of
luck. Hope it works out.