Fedora Core 2 Update: ppp-2.4.2-3.FC2.1

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Jul 10 21:42:44 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:

> The problem xine-lib probably is related to something else.. Which
> error do you get? Where you got the package?
>
> I have xine-lib-1.0.0-0.lvn.0.26.rc4a.2 installed right now. I had no
> trouble getting xine-0.99.2-0.lvn.2.2 to install.
>
> this is the up2date output.
>
> There was a package dependency problem.  The message was:
>
> Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
> xine-lib  1.0.0-0.lvn.0.29.rc5.2         requires libtheora.so.0
>
> Please modify your package selections and try again.
>
> This is from the testing area on livna.

Probably because the developers are preparing to put theora in FC3...
Soon libtheora.so.0 will appear somewhere..

> I closed down xmms and the count went down from 9 to 7. Also, the
> program seems to be from December 2003.
>
> I only tried these programs because of having to remove two trojans on
> my wife's XP machine. Being we are fire walled from the outside and
> are the only machines on this network, I thought that I'd check the
> Linux side out from curiosity/paranoia.
>
> What program would be a good alternative to chkrootkit for system
> integrity checks?

At the place where I worked , we used both checkrootkit (which gave good
results on distros without NPTL) and integrit. The bad thing about
integrit is learning to see what you changed (through updates and
changes in configurations) and what a invader changed.... This is really
problematic when you do a massive upgrade (or when you upgrade a big
package , like xorg , for instance) and you end with a integrit report
with 2000+ files changed in the system...

--
Pedro Macedo