chroot vs virtual machine for web server?

Wayne Stidolph wayne.stidolph at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 21:22:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:56:29 +0200, Alexander Dalloz
<alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
> Am So, den 11.07.2004 schrieb Wayne Stidolph um 21:22:
>
> > I want to transfer my web serving (small static pages) from an
> > internal server to my firewall machine, to cut down on the number of
> > computers running in my SOHO; but I'd like to stay reasonably secure
> > :) So, I'm thinking I need to run httpd in a chroot, or a user-mode
> > virtual machine. But which?

[snip]

> As you say you have only static webcontent I don't think there is much
> need to make your life harder by implementing a chrooted Apache or a
> system inside a host system with UML.

Thanks, that's reassuring - when I'm ignorant, I tend to make things
harder than they really need to be! Since I'm serving static
non-sensitive data, I'll just bring up Apache on the border machine
and see how it goes...

Good luck in your virtual machine experiment ... and, Alexander,
thanks for being a frequent and useful provider of good tips!

Wayne