fc1 : Which mysql version?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 12 01:57:54 UTC 2004

On Sunday 11 July 2004 21:24, Jeff Vian wrote:
>On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 06:24, Markku Kolkka wrote:
>> Gene Heskett kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 11.
heinäkuuta 2004 13:16):
>> > From what I can recall, it seems that mysql has changed the
>> > license to something that clashes with the GPL, and the new
>> > version is no longer being distributed by the linux vendors for
>> > this reason.
>>
>> Just the opposite, the new version changed the licence to _GPL_,
>> so it can't be linked with applications with GPL-incompatible
>> licenses like PHP.
>
>HUH????   PHP is GPL.
>
>This is one of MANY stories on that with PHP and MySQL licensing
>problems.
>http://www.silicon.com/software/applications/0,39024653,39119159,00.
>htm
>
>Read the archives for the discussion on this several months ago
> before FC2 was releaased.
>
>I believe that Gene was correct in his statement but it had to do
> with the two stage licensing and the terms for when it was free and
> when it had to be paid.  The new licensing at that time required
> payment for *distribution* of code, even internally and thus was a
> problem.
>
>The discussion in the archives was much more complete than my memory
> so for full details look there.

Thanks for confirming that I don't have total alzheimers just yet.
I thought of going back at him this morning when I first saw the
quoted post, but I probably would have done nothing but a rant,
non-productive.  Now he can, if he so desires, read it first hand.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.