Installed packages management

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Mon Jul 12 12:35:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 08:13, A. Lanza wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 09:39, Peter Boy wrote:
> > Am Mo, den 12.07.2004 schrieb A. Lanza um 08:46:
> > > Now, how can I manage installed packages? How can I see a list of
> > > packages installed on my system?
> >
> > system-config-packages is the gui. You can find it in the menues (system
> > configuration -> add/delete applications).
> >
> > Currently it might be easier to use the command line in a terminal
> > window.
> >
> How is system-config-packages related to rpm packages installed on the
> system? I have installed some additional packages but they're not in the
> list when i launch the graphical utility.

system-config-packages is a front-end that mirrors what was seen during
a graphical installation.  It presents "package groups" to you to ease
some of the installation process.  A "package group" is defined in a
file called comps.xml (found on the distribution media disc #1) and is
made up of several individual packages - some of which are mandatory for
the group, some are by default and some are optional (clicking on
Details lets you manipulate individual packages within the group).

> I know there's yet another installation tool: yum. How is yum related to
> rpm command?

yum/apt/up2date are all front ends that can be used (mostly from the
command line) that will read additional configuration information and
try to resolve "dependency problems" for you.  A "dependency" is another
package needed by the package that you are trying to install.  Calling
rpm directly will generally not resolve dependencies but simply present
you with an error message about the problem.

I would recommend reading the FAQ found at
http://www.fedorafaq.org/#getsoftware to learn more about package
installation in the Fedora world....

Remember that all these tools use rpm on the backend but simplify your
life in performing package management....

--Rob