Installed packages management

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Mon Jul 12 13:58:17 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 12.07.2004 schrieb A. Lanza um 14:13:
> How is system-config-packages related to rpm packages installed on the
> system? I have installed some additional packages but they're not in the
> list when i launch the graphical utility.

system-config-packages is tied to the packages, which are part of the
Fedora distribution, but I'm not shure about it. If you installed
packages, which are not part of the distro, you might not see them.

Therefore, I use the described command line tool.

> I know there's yet another installation tool: yum. How is yum related to
> rpm command?

yum does basically try to determine, which other packages are needed to
successfully install a given package or a set of packages. And manages
the download of those packages. For the installation itself it uses rpm.
So it can not replace rpm, but adds some functionality.

Peter