suggest any modems?

mort mort at lecadesign.com
Tue Jul 13 05:10:13 UTC 2004

Can anybody suggest a suitable external modem to use with fedora. I have fedora core 1 publishers edition currently installed on my laptop....however i will be very soon upgrading to fc2 full ver.
the modem built in is a software driven modem (not a true modem) and therefore finding a driver will be near impossible unless i use a very generic one. I think the chipset is by lucent technology
(AC-link). Also has anybody had any trouble installing packages due to media errors (bad media) from a cd-rom? i had huge problems adding packages with fc1, packages which i needed because publishers edition is a very compressed version as i got it on only two cd-roms and i needed a compiler (gcc) which could not be added because of the futile cd.....unless it's my cd-rom drive which is why i am asking if anyone else has experienced this.
feel free to reply as any information/suggestions would be appreciated.
----MortroM----