Need Install Help - ASUS A7V8X-X, ASUS Radeon 7000

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Wed Jul 14 04:13:14 UTC 2004

Hi all, I'm in need of some help getting FC1 or 2 on a new box that I
built. Here are the basic specs:
ASUS A7V8X-X mobo
ASUS Radeon 7000 video card
Western Digital 7200 rpm 80GB hd with 8MB buffer

When I boot from either FC1 or FC2 disk 1, the results are identical. It
correctly probes for the video card (ATI Radeon 7000), the monitor
ViewSonic VG800, the mouse type (Generic 3-button mouse, PS/2).

X starts
then I go through the new partitioning, where I let it do it
automatically. I set the time zone, my root pw, and select Desktop. I
configure my static IP information. When it starts to actually do the
installation, it stops X, and tells me that the install exited abnormally.
sending termination signals ... done
sending kill signals ... done
disabling swap ...
unmounting file systems ...
etc.
you may safely reboot

and then it sits there.

As I say, I have tried iso's from both FC1 and FC2. I have also tried
another harddrive of the same make and model (WD). On these hd's I don't
have a jumper, because that is what the label says to do if there is
only a single hd. I have checked that my ide cables are correclty going
from primary ide to the hard drive. There are no other devices on the
primary ide cable.

What am I doing wrong???

Clint