Can't I get a /dev/one?

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 14 04:34:48 UTC 2004

Jim Higson wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 July 2004 00:02, William M. Quarles wrote:
>
>>Okay, so there is a /dev/zero.  Shouldn't there be a /dev/one, too?  Is
>>there any way that I can fill a file or device full of ones?
>
> Btw, why do you want this?

I guess that I should have said that from the beginning, so that I
wouldn't have to write this as frequently.

I'm trying to fill a hard drive with all ones.  I know how to fill it
with all zeros:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb bs=1024 count=58615704

I don't know how to fill it with all ones.

I'm working within pretty low functionality on this system (RHL 9
installation CD rescue mode).

Thanks,
William