Grub issue / resolution that worked for me

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jul 14 05:34:52 UTC 2004

I am running FC2 with software raid 1 (2 disks, 3 partions each).

I had been only able to boot off of hde. In order to feel that
I would be able to boot off hdg if hde went south I decided to try
to fix this. But it turned out to be a lot harder than I expected.

I am not sure why I didn't get set up to boot off of both disks when
I did the install. It was a fresh install, but I might have saved the
partitions from a previous RH9 and aborted FC2 upgrade without rewriting
the MBR.

While reading the grub documentation it seemed like the correct way to
do things was to:
root (hd1,0)
setup (hd1)
However this turned out not to be the case and I went down a lot of
dead ends before doing something that worked.

The setup command embeds a stage1.5 file for e2fs and refers to files
with a prefix of /boot. (I don't know if this is relevant, but /boot
is a separate partition in my case.)

What finally ended up working for me was (I needed to do both drives by the
time I got to the end of my quest):
root (hd0,0)
install (hd0,0)/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0,0)/grub/stage2 (hd0,0)/grub/grub.conf
root (hd1,0)
install (hd1,0)/grub/stage1 (hd1) (hd1,0)/grub/stage2 (hd1,0)/grub/grub.conf