Anyone know why I only get a shell when i upgrade the nvidia fx5200 video drivers?

Mathew Brown mbrown0420 at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 15 06:01:51 UTC 2004

I am Trying to install Fedora Core 2 on my machine, I've tried Suse as well and i get the same problem. As soon as I update the video card driver, i get nothing but a friggen shell prompt. It won't load the GUI when I install the new Drivers, I install FC2, then run the updater and get all the updates, it installs them all, i can install them all except the video driver and it works fine, but as soon as the video driver goes in i only get a shell.

My machine is,
Asus a7n8x-e Deluxe MB bios 1010
AMD Barton 2500+
768 megs pc3200 Crucial Ram
ATA 133 40 Gig W.D. or quantum, not sure but it's one of the two
Giga-byte (Nvidia Chipset) fx5200 128 meg Video card 8x AGP
pioneer 8xdvd-rw
Lg DVD rom
LG 52x32x52 CD-Rw
and yeah the floppy drive.