Anyone know why I only get a shell when i upgrade the nvidia fx5200 video drivers?

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Thu Jul 15 06:09:19 UTC 2004

Posting twice won't get you a quicker answer.. This I know for sure.

> I am Trying to install Fedora Core 2 on my machine, I've tried Suse as well
> and i get the same problem. As soon as I update the video card driver, i get
> nothing but a friggen shell prompt. It won't load the GUI when I install the
> new Drivers, I install FC2, then run the updater and get all the updates, it
> installs them all, i can install them all except the video driver and it
> works fine, but as soon as the video driver goes in i only get a shell.

I would change your init to init 3

id:3:initdefault:   in your /etc/inittab (change it from 5)

Beyond that..  I'm not sure if Fedora is using Xfree86 or X.org.. if it's
using Xfree86 (I think it does, and im lazy ATM and won't check for you).. you
can login at console and run 'startx'.   When that fails, you should have a
nice logfile in /var/log..  such as /var/log/XFree86.0.log..  For whatever
reason its failing, it should be in that file..

I'm not sure of the recommended Fedora way of installing Nvidia drivers, but I
personally just ftp them.. and run nvidia's installer at command line:

wget http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-6106/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run

I've never had a problem with them..  do that, then run 'startx' and see if it
works.. if it does..  change your init back to 5 in your inittab.. and see how
that goes.

Just as a warning.. I could be giving you bad advice.. I honestly don't know
the recommended ways for Fedora.. They may have some crazy GUI or console
utility it prefers that you use.. but that's what I'd do.. and I know it would
usually work.