problem with perl created symlinks

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu Jul 15 14:12:30 UTC 2004

I have a perl script that creates some symlinks. The symlinks get
created but I can't see them over samba or nfs. If I create the symlink
manually at a prompt it works fine and I can see it over samba and nfs.
If I compare two create each way I can't see any difference in file
properties.

If I do a simple ls, the symlink created by perl is a maroon color (in
my specific terminal session), while the manually created one is a light
blue color. What could be making these different?

This is on FC2. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Perl is creating them like:
symlink "$oldpath/$oldfilename", "$newpath/$newfilename" or die "Failed
to create symlink $newpath/$newfilename: $!";

Thanks,
James