Red Carpet available for FC2 -- please try it out

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Thu Jul 15 18:50:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 17:44, Jim Higson wrote:
> I can't find (much) information on how RedCarpet works - is it just a front
> end like synaptic, or a whole upgrade and install method?

It's somewhere in between those two. It's not simply a front-end to yum
or apt-get, in that the rcd daemon periodically connects to servers and
downloads channel information from them. Those severs however are simply
pulling in information from apt and yum repositories. So the information
you see is exactly the same as what is available to yum and apt, but Red
Carpet does use its own method of obtaining that information.

> If the former then great! Otherwise I'm cautious. apt and yum do the
> background work very well (although they could have better gui interfaces)
> three upgrade agents seems too many.

I do agree with you that four (!) methods does seem to many: up2date,
yum, apt, and Red Carpet. However, the Red Carpet GUI is just so damn
good that you may find yourself using it to the exclusion of the other
three!

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com