Sendmail [was OpenSSL]

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Thu Jul 15 20:45:53 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

<<--snip-->>

| Maybe a little misunderstanding: the default entry in Sendmail.conf is
| "pwcheck_method:saslauthd". Then the saslauthd must be running (service
| saslauthd status). The saslauthd is by default configured to auth
| against the shadow file. If you want to change that you will have to
| create a file /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd with content i.e. "MECH=pam",
| this will override the setting in the init script.

There is a file /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd that I did not create.  It
contains the following:
# To read about how postfix uses saslauthd read this:
# /usr/share/doc/postfix-*/README-Postfix-SASL-RedHat.txt
#
# To see a list of authentication mechanisms supported by saslauthd
execute this command
# /usr/sbin/saslauthd -v
#
# Default to pam
MECH=pam

Maybe this is another postfix change....  When I installed FC1, I
usually install everything.  It saves having to find something when I
need it.

Should I set the entry in Sendmail.conf to pwcheck_method:saslauthd.
Then change the /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd to use shadow?  Maybe, I'm a
little confused how this is suppose to work properly.....

<<--snip-->>

| I don't know what you did, but it sounds not proper. The cacert is
| something very different then the client certificates as ipop3d.pem.
| Maybe should post you a brief description of the necessary steps.

The ipop3d.pem is needed for the server to authenticate with the client
when connecting.  The client then imports this certificate into its
database of accepted certs.  The ipop3d.pem is a server cert that
identifies (in my case the server: beta.support.intcomgrp.com on IP
192.168.10.20).

<<--snip-->>

| One last note: The default setting in sendmail.mc is not to force
| STARTTLS being active for PLAIN and LOGIN AUTH. If you did not already
| change that, then change that to allow LOGIN and PLAIN only after
| STARTTLS has been done:
|
| define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl
|
| Else it matters how the user configured his client, if he did activate
| SSL/TLS in his mail client. And you know, never trust the user.

Already done...  although I've even seen one setup on the web that
suggests `A p y'.

Thanks,
James