IMAP doesn't like HTML formatting

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jul 15 22:51:59 UTC 2004

Mike Fedyk writes:

> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> Although a poorly-written IMAP client may behave like a POP3 client,
>> even when using IMAP, this is an exception rather than the rule. In
>> any case, the IMAP server must decode messages in order to implement
>> IMAP correctly. The IMAP protocol requires the server to process MIME
>> headers and decode attachments, and send only selected attachments to
>> the client, upon demand.
>
> I thought it only split on header and message body boundaries, but
> according to you, it does more than that. I'll have to look at some RFCs
> when I get a chance.

I'll be happy to point to you in the right direction:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3501.txt

Direct your attention, for example (one of many, I should add), to the FETCH
BODY and FETCH BODYSTRUCTURE commands.

I welcome a proposal how to implement the FETCH BODYSTRUCTURE and FETCH BODY
commands and replies without completely parsing the message's MIME
structure; identifying the byte offsets and the line counts of each MIME
section in the message; and parsing most common MIME headers and logically
processing their contents.