red-carpet - thanks

Paul McGarry paul.mcgarry at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 07:50:07 UTC 2004

Sorry to start a new thread but I've just subscribed and I'd just like
to say thanks for making Red-Carpet available for FC2.

I've had FC2 installed for a week or so now (prior to that I used a
purchased RH 7.3 with a Ximian Red-Carpet express subscription on top)
and it is the one thing I've particularly missed when trying to get my
box up to speed.

Up2Date seems to behave somewhat flakily on my machine, frequently it
seems to just sit there and the screen doesn't update properly if
windows move in front of it and away again. Is that normal?

The add programs thing (system-config-packages?) also seemed a bit "odd" to use.

Then I tried yum (with the .conf  from the faq site) and it seemed ok
for a text mode program but was offering me a different set of
packages than Up2Date was. I expected it to offer additional ones due
to the extra repositories which it did but it didn't seem to offer me
the same normal FC2 updates. Perhaps it just points at a different
(out of date) mirror for them so they weren't there?

This morning I read about the Red-Carpet release and 3 RPMS later I
was in package management nirvana:

-Updating the packages was a breeze and both standard Fedora and the
extra sites were all together.
-I also have installable (and uninstallable) software in the same
coherant "one stop" interface for managing the software on my PC.
-The text mode tool (rug) has the same view of the world as the graphical one.

It all seemed to "just work".

So thanks to the guys who got Red-Carpet set up for FC2 and I hope
Red-Carpet is considered for becoming a standard part of Fedora. To me
it seems like a fantastic contribution.

>From my brief play with it Yum seems a lot like rug but the output
from rug seems easier to understand and I think sharing the
infrastructure/configuration with the graphical tool makes a great
deal of sense.

Paul