Gnome Display Manager

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Fri Jul 16 13:25:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 09:07, Frio Polar wrote:
> El vie, 16-07-2004 a las 02:28, Thomas Sapp escribió:
>
> Just open a terminal and tye:
>
> su -
>
> init 3
>
> And you can install the video drivers

Good advise, I would like to add to.

Tom There is a lot of easy to understand docs on the redhat site,

Linux has 6 runlevels
they can switched into at any time by open a terminal and typing init
<no.>.
The run levels are similar to what windoze users call normal mode and
safe mode. only prob is with windoze you alway  reboot to switch between
them. Linux you can switch without rebooting.
So in other words if I booted in runlevel 3 (full networking no GUI) by
typing init 5 the system would switch to full networking with GUI)

run
cat /etc/inittab
from a terminal and you will see what the different levels are. you can
also use this file to permanently change what level your PC uses as
default.

You can also type init <no.> from the bootloader, if you use grub you
can add a temp entry in to change your runlevel.

good luck! :->

> > How do I stop the GDM from starting up automatically?  Can I disable it
> > long enough to log in as root and install an update to my video
> > drivers?  I have tried pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and it just
> > restarts.  I have even tried gdm-stop after pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 and
> > logging in, but GDM restarts.  I have heard of the ability to log in to
> > single user mode but I am not sure how to do that either.  I have
> > already done searches on the internet and I do not keep a running file
> > of emails from this list.  I am just asking for some help, please.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Tom Sapp
> > http://www.sappsworld.com